Nomination & Voting Process
Selecting the nominators
60-80 Nominators are chosen for the season based on a number of criteria. These criteria will be answered in an application sent to TPS regarding:
- Range of theatrical viewing experience
- Location and availability
- Demonstrated understanding of theatrical artistry
Theatre Puget Sound and The Gregory Awards Committee will choose the nominators based on those who best fit the criteria mentioned above. Nominators are on a 1-year basis with the option to continue for up to 3 years without further review. Nominators will register on gregoryawards.org and include conflicts of interest, transportation, schedule conflicts, and other factors to use when assigning Voters to performances.
- 8-10 Nominators will be randomly assigned to each show eligible for the Gregory Awards.
- Tickets must be reserved at least 2 weeks prior to opening night;
- Theatres may choose if nominators are given 1 or 2 tickets;
- The theatre is ultimately responsible for ensuring the nominators see their show; they will be able to login and see who is coming to their show and will be able to email the Voters regarding their ticket;
- Nominators must notify TPS immediately regarding anything preventing them from seeing their assigned show.
- Depending on the number of nominators, each will likely see 15-20 shows in a season
- Nominators must register their vote within 48 hours of seeing the show;
- Nominators will give a 1-100 vote on production and performances that they found notable – 81-100 outstanding/excellent, 61-80 very good, 41-60 good, 21-40 competent, and 1-20 not professional
At the end of the season, scores are compiled and calculated for each category – the top 4-5 in each category will become the “nominees” for each individual award.
After nominations are announced, a poll will be released allowing anyone to submit a name for an additional nominee (“People’s Choice”) for the actor, director, production and theatre awards.
Voting On Recipients
TPS Members will vote on the nominees in each category; the highest voted in each category will be named as the recipient.